Customers enjoy the take on board the tall Roller Ferris wheel, but there has to be a lot more of them, says Caesars.
Caesars Entertainment’s High Roller Ferris wheel at the Linq is not quite yet in a deflationary spiral, nonetheless it is not proving become the money maker that the business had hoped for either. The 550 foot attraction, which towers over the Las Vegas Strip, is billed as the world’s observation wheel that is tallest.
It opened nearly a 12 months ago as an element of a $550 million redevelopment associated with the area between the Flamingo and the Linq, previously the Imperial Palace, and represents a recent trend as Vegas seeks to diversify its entertainment offering away from traditional gambling.
It is hardly revolutionary: the new generation of site visitors prefers a Ferris up to a roulette wheel, the thinking goes; except they don’t, apparently.
Caesars said this week that while numbers were up 10 percent on the past quarter to just under 5,000 day-to-day riders, it was still means quick of expectations; the company had predicted that the ride could be attracting between 8,000 and 11,000 visitors each day, or 3 to 4 million a year.
Persuading around 10 percent of the Strip’s 41 million yearly visitors might yield up to $60 million in yearly income, the organization had hoped.
Happy Half Hour
These figures were extrapolated partly by looking at the 2010 numbers for comparable tourist attractions. Almost four million checked out the London Eye that year, whilst the Empire State Building had 3.5 million visitors, and 700,000 individuals climbed the Stratosphere in Las vegas.
However, Caesars outgoing Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Loveman admitted that the business had underestimated the amount of groups and business site visitors the trip would attract, adding that this might be now being addressed through a wider marketing outreach.
The majority that is vast of to date have been leisure tourists or locals, Loveman explained.
Along with Groupon discounts, airline package discounts and half-price tickets for locals, Caesars has begun offering an open bar during the 30-minute ride in a ‘Happy Half Hour’ package, an option that now accounts for a quarter of all bookings.
$1.01 Billion Q4 Losses
Meanwhile, shares in Caesars Entertainment fell 7.9 percent to $10.15 in extensive trading after the ongoing company reported a $1.01 billion Q4 loss. The company’s biggest division, Caesars Entertainment Operating Co, has filed for bankruptcy security as the company struggles to reorganize its industry-high debt of over $25 billion.
Meanwhile, Caesars has been involved in months of negotiation and litigation with its creditors that are low-level who argue that its restructuring plan, exercised having its major creditors, unjustly protects the business’s interests during the cost of their own.
Despite all this, Loveman remained upbeat: ‘Ongoing strength in the interactive business, new hospitality offerings and sequential improvement in same-store regional results had been key motorists of our fourth quarter performance despite the continuation of exceptionally unfavorable hold at Caesars Palace.’
MGM Will No Longer Allow Cash To Try Out At Poker Tables
MGM casinos will no longer allow poker players to use cash during the tables before converting it into chips. (Image: highstakesdb.com)
MGM Resorts will stop allowing cash to be considered ‘in play’ at poker tables in the us beginning on April 1, a move that will eradicate perhaps the only major way to gamble money without transforming it into chips in their casinos.
According to a report by on line Poker Report’s Chris Grove, MGM has confirmed the noticeable change, though they’ve not said what is behind the decision to not any longer allow cash to be played at the poker tables.
Prior to the modification, $100 bills that were on the table during cash games in MGM poker rooms were regarded as being part of a player’s stack, which could be wagered and could have to be included as an ingredient of any all-in bet.
But starting next month, this can no longer be the case at major Las Vegas poker rooms including at the Bellagio, the ARIA, MGM Grand nevada, and the Excalibur.
The move will affect the Beau also Rivage in Biloxi, Mississippi, as well as the MGM Grand Detroit.
Change Probably Designed to Enhance Anti-Money Laundering Standards
While there has been no specific word on why MGM has made the modification, most speculation has suggested that it relates to some kind of compliance issue, a normal reason for casinos to alter their money-handing policies.
In particular, MGM could possibly be concerned about the federal government’s recent interest in cash laundering policies at casinos: cash is much more difficult for casinos to trace than potato chips, especially at higher denominations, where chips have RFID tags embedded in them to ensure they could be traced.
The Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) has been more earnestly speaing frankly about potential problems with anti-money laundering procedures at casinos over the year that is past. In June, FinCEN Director Jennifer Shasky Calvery gave a speech in which she mentioned how casinos should be taking a more ‘risk-based approach’ to anti-money laundering efforts, and that gambling enterprises should become more proactive in the Bank Secrecy Act to their compliance.
Choices such due to the fact could be a response to such requests. FinCEN has additionally recently launched a working office in Las Vegas, suggesting that they may be planning on going for a better look at only how the gaming industry protects against money laundering in casinos.
Compliance with IRS criteria on reporting may be a secondary issue, as chips must be cashed out and therefore can be tracked, while cash can go right into a person’s pocket without ever being reported.
Players Have Mixed Opinions on Cash in Poker Games
Whilst the rules that are new be restricting to some players who enjoy having cash at the tables, only a few poker fans are reacting adversely to the change. In a thread regarding the topic freeslotsnodownload-ca.com in Two Plus Two’s ‘News, Views and Gossip’ forum, player reaction was blended, with some saying that eliminating cash at the tables will also beat a ways that are few players can attempt to cheat during poker games.
‘Fantastic news,’ wrote NickMPK. ‘I hate playing with cash regarding the dining table. It much harder to see someone’s stack size, plus it facilitates passing counterfeit bills.’
Not everyone consented that cash had been a real issue at poker tables, nonetheless.
‘[It is] 100x more easier to angleshoot hiding big potato chips than $100 bills, and the $100 bills are much easier [to] see from the other end of the table,’ wrote posted sevencard2003. ‘This is wonderful news for angleshooters and cheaters.’
According to Grove, similar modifications will likely visited a great many other Las Vegas casinos within the near future, though it’s unlikely that all poker spaces would take up such a ‘no cash’ policy anytime soon.
Las Vegas Mob Writer Susan Berman Murder Suspect Robert Durst Arrested
The long-unsolved murder of Susan Berman, Mob daughter and writer, may finally be thawing out of the Las Vegas case that is cold. In a strange twist of activities, the man very long suspected of her brutal killing 15 years ago is now in custody.
Robert Durst has become one thing of a household name in recent months, thanks to an HBO documentary series called The Jinx that detail by detail several ‘mysterious’ disappearances and deaths surrounding the man that is 71-year-old.
Now, perhaps many thanks, at the very least in part, to evidence uncovered during that documentary, Durst may have to face finally charges for one or more of those deaths.
Durst was arrested on Saturday night in New Orleans for the 2000 murder of Susan Berman, a crime journalist and friend that is long-time of arrestee. While he had been always a suspect in the event because of his propensity for being surrounded with unsolved homicides, there was uncertainty within the Berman case due to exactly what she had often written about: the history of Las Vegas and her family’s ties to the Mafia, herself being the daughter Mobster Davie Berman.
Extra Evidence Prompts Arrest
That has been enough for some individuals to suspect she had researched or written about that she was killed for something. But now, police say they have more fodder pointing to the chance that it was Durst behind the killing all along.
‘ As a consequence of investigative leads and additional evidence that has arrive at light in the past year, investigators have identified Robert Durst as anyone accountable for Ms. Berman’s death,’ the Los Angeles Police said in a statement released over the weekend.
Durst was picked up on Saturday, staying under a fake name at the JW Marriott resort in brand New Orleans. Authorities state they believe Durst had been about to leave the national country and head to Cuba.
‘Jinx’ May Have Uncovered New Evidence
Provided the promotion surrounding Durst because of The Jinx, many have actually speculated that the makers of the documentary uncovered evidence that led to his arrest. While there might be some merit to that, police have actually tried to downplay the connection between your program and the decision to arrest him.
‘We based our actions according to the investigation and the evidence,’ stated LAPD Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese. ‘We didn’t base anything we did in the HBO series. The arrest was made as a result of the investigative efforts and at the same time it ended up being needed. that we believe’
For their component, Jinx director Andrew Jarecki has denied that there was any deal to have the authorities make the arrest prior to the series finale, which aired night sunday. However, he did admit that it was difficult to determine when and just how to share information that was uncovered utilizing the police.
‘We talked a great deal if we go to the authorities now, we’re missing the opportunity for us to actually get the real story from him, and it may take years for them to do that because the truth is, as filmmakers, we have the freedom to do things that maybe the law enforcement authorities wouldn’t have,’ Jarecki said in an interview on Good Morning America about it with our legal advisors and we said, look.
Durst Also Suspected in Disappearance of Wife
Durst has been suspected, but not implicated, in other cases as well.
In 1982, his wife that is former Kathie went missing; her household has believed he had been involved, but this has never been proven. Berman had been set to be interviewed by a Westchester County District Attorney about this disappearance when she was killed, which offered a connection between Durst and Berman’s death.
And in 2003, Durst admitted to neighbor that is dismembering Black, but ended up being acquitted after arguing the killing was done in self-defense.
The Jinx may have brought Durst’s questionable involvement in these cases back to the limelight. The filmmakers showed Durst a letter he wrote that was strikingly similar to an anonymous note to police that led them to Susan Berman’s body in 2000 in the penultimate episode.
In the final episode, Durst was heard (perhaps unaware that his microphone was still real time) muttering just what some have interpreted as a confession to his crimes.